Red Oak Community School District
Regular Board of Directors Meeting
Meeting Location: Sue Wagaman Board Room, Webster Building, Red Oak, Iowa
Monday, October 11, 2010
This regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Red Oak Community School District was called to order by President Lee Fellers at 6:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Directors: Lee Fellers, Charla Schmid, Warren Hayes, Paul Griffen, Terry Schmidt,
Superintendent, & Shirley Maxwell, Board Secretary Absent: Elizabeth Dilley
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Director Schmid moved and Director Griffen seconded to approve the agenda as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
Director Schmid moved, seconded by Director Griffen, to approve the consent agenda as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
- Review and approval of minutes from September 27, 2010
- Review and approval of monthly business reports
- Approval of resignation of Bob Deter, ROHS Assistant Wrestling Coach
- Approval of P.J. Hedrington as ROHS Assistant Wrestling Coach
- Approval of Laura Horn as the “Eye of the Tiger” publication sponsor
- Approval of education services agreements with the Nebraska Center for the Education of Children Who Are Blinded or Visually Impaired; Woodward-Granger Community School District (two students); Stanton and Glenwood Community School Districts
Director Griffen moved and Director Hayes seconded to approve the share agreement with the Stanton Community School District for Vocational Education.
Certified annual report highlights were given by Business Manager Shirley Maxwell. Director Griffen moved, Director Hayes seconded to approve the Certified Annual Report and monthly financial report as presented. The motion carried unanimously. The uncertified October 1 student head count was also reviewed.
SCHOOLS IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE
An update was given in regard to the Schools in Need of Assistance process by Washington Intermediate Principal and Curriculum Director Barb Sims.
BOARD OF DIRECTOR APPOINTMENTS
Director Griffen moved, seconded by Director Schmid to approve the following Board of Directors’ responsibility appointments for the 2010-2011 school term:
- Montgomery County Conference Board – Elizabeth Dilley
- Interest Based Bargaining, certified staff – Charla Schmid and Paul Griffen
- Interest Based Bargaining, non-classified – Charla Schmid and Lee Fellers
- Facilities – Lee Fellers and Paul Griffen
- Board Policy – Elizabeth Dilley and Warren Hayes
- Technology – Paul Griffen and Warren Hayes
- School Calendar – Warren Hayes
- Curriculum Council – Lee Fellers
- School Improvement Advisory Committee – Charla Schmid and Elizabeth Dilley
The motion carried unanimously.
MISSION AND BELIEF STATEMENT
Director Schmid moved and Director Griffen seconded to approve the Red Oak CSD Mission and Belief Statement. The motion carried unanimously.
Director Griffen moved, seconded by Director Hayes to adopt the Board of Directors’ goals for the 2010-2011 school year as amended. The board would like to develop technology to make the ROCSD a technology leader in Southwest Iowa, that could include but not be limited to a computer one-to-one program beginning at the Red Oak Community School District. The motion carried unanimously.
FFA NATIONAL CONFERENCE
Director Schmid moved, seconded by Director Griffen to approve the FFA National Conference Trip for Red Oak High School students. The motion carried unanimously.
ALLOWABLE GROWTH/SUPPLEMENTAL AID
Business Manager Shirley Maxwell reviewed the allowable growth and request for supplemental aid. Director Schmid moved, seconded by Director Griffen to approve the request to seek allowable growth and supplemental aid for special education negative balance from the 09-10 school year. The motion carried unanimously.
Director Griffen moved, and Director Schmid seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 p.m. The next Board of Directors meeting will be a Special Board Meeting: Fiscal Policy Review Workshop. It will be held on Monday, October 25, 2010, at 5:00 p.m., in the Sue Wagaman Board Room at the Webster Building. The motion carried unanimously.
Lee Fellers, President Shirley Maxwell, Secretary