Red Oak Community Schools COVID-19 UPDATE
MARCH 16, 2020
Red Oak Community School District
Over the past 48 hours there have been multiple phone calls, electronic meetings, and state official press conferences concerning the coronavirus disease. The recommendations and guidelines have changed over that period and there have been multiple scenarios discussed. At this point, the Red Oak Community School District is making the following announcements:
- Attendance at school for class is cancelled until April 13, 2020
- There will be no activities (practices, contests, other events) held in any school facilities until April 13, 2020
- There will be no unauthorized personnel in the school buildings until April 13, 2020
- There will be meals prepared for pick up at Inman Elementary School starting on Monday, March 23, 2020 until April 13, 2020 (DETAILS WILL BE COMMUNICATED TUESDAY, MARCH 17, 2020)
These announcements are all in line with the recommendations of State Officials (Governor, Iowa Department of Education Director, and the Iowa Department of Public Health). Any updates from these agencies will be considered. The Red Oak Community School District will provide updates as information becomes available and decisions are made.
There are still some details waiting to be worked out but are still being discussed with other schools and within our own district. More information will follow on the following:
- What kind of learning opportunities will exist for the students during the downtime?
- How will the school district handle expectations for contracted staff?
- What will the schedule look like on April 13, 2020?
At this time, it is believed schools will not be required make up the hours missed from March 16, 2020 until April 13, 2020. It is also probably we will not be taking the ISASP (state assessments) for the 2019-2020 school year.
The Red Oak Community School District will continue to closely monitor the situation and provide updates to the district. Administration offices and 12-month employees will continue to conduct their work responsibilities. We will post the updates on the school website and through the regular media channels.
We are currently on our scheduled spring break through the end of this week. Offices will be closed Thursday, March 19, 2020 and Friday, March 20, 2020.
Tom Messinger, Superintendent