YES Mentoring - Who We Are
The YES Mentoring Program is managed by a community advisory board made up of business members, service organization members
and school employees. The advisory board formed in the spring of 2007. We wanted to help our children grow up to be productive,
contributing and positive community members. Knowing that many children in our community could benefit from the support and
guidance of an additional adult in their lives motivated us to create a community based mentoring program.
In September of 2008 we hired a part time coordinator who helps recruit and train mentors and then matches them with children in our
community. This program is offered for children kindergarten through twelfth grade. Anyone who has a desire to make a positive
difference in the life of a child is welcomed to apply to become a mentor.
The word "mentor" comes from the Greek for "steadfast" and "enduring." Mentoring is the one-to-one or group relationship that one or
more adults develop with one or more young people to help them develop and succeed.
The goals for the Y.E.S.! Program are to:
- Help students improve self-esteem
- Help students acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Help students gain social skills
- Help students strengthen character
- Encourage students to attain higher performance and better school attendance
- Encourage students to remain in school & graduate
- Promote a safe, comfortable, and healthy learning environment
For more information, please contact Peggy Craig at 623-6635 or email firstname.lastname@example.org