Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Red Oak School District



Ajax Loading Image


Home Schooling


Parents may choose to educate their children at home instead of sending them to traditional public or nonpublic schools. They have three different options in homeschooling their children:

  • Competent Private Instruction (CPI) provided or supervised by a licensed practitioner, including a teacher who is hired by the family at their own expense or an appropriately licensed parent or guardian;
  • CPI provided or supervised by a parent, guardian, or custodian without a current Iowa teaching license;
  • Non-accredited Independent Private Instruction which is exempt from most state statutes (e.g., compulsory attendance) and administrative rules

Dual Enrollment

Students may dual enroll in the district for academics, special education, and/or extracurricular activities. If dually enrolled, the student must file Form A with the district. 

Students who are dually enrolled for participation in extracurricular activities must meet the extracurricular eligibility requirements established by the district for all students. Students who are dually enrolled in courses that offer secondary and postsecondary credit on the same basis as any regularly enrolled student. Dual enrolled students are eligible to receive AEA services and special education support, if identified as an entitled individual, on the same basis as any regularly enrolled student.



Iowa Department of Education Private Instruction Handbook

Form A

Iowa Code 299a

Private Instruction Comparison

Timelines and Procedures

Annual Evaluation Flowchart


Additional information can be found on the Iowa Department of Education's Home Schooling (Private Instruction) webpage.